Thursday, March 9, 2023
Last week, we had such FUN revisiting our journey to Becoming a Grand
and then our JOY
when we shared the news, Welcome the World, Little One!
Reliving this special time in our lives,
when we each became a grandparent for the first time,
brought back such precious memories for us both!
If you’d like more ideas for ways to celebrate the 9 month wait to become a Grand,
We’re shared those ideas at the end of this post as well,
in case any of our blog readers missed them!
If interested, be sure to check them out!
One of the suggestions we offered for helping the new mommy and daddy
as they adjusted to parenthood,
was to provide meals during the first months!
Laura shared some of the freezer meals she’s made for her Middles,
but she saved the most requested one for today’s post!
This recipe for Breakfast Burritos is definitely a family fave!
Daughter J and SIL love it when I leave a double batch in their freezer after a visit
and Daughter A requests them frequently,
especially before a 12 hour shift at the hospital!
If you are looking for a convenient and healthy solution to busy mornings
when you don’t have time for breakfast,
these breakfast burritos may be just what you are looking for!
Since this breakfast is all wrapped up in a tortilla and ready to be warmed up,
it’s easy to eat in the car or when you’re already at work.
As an added bonus, these yummy burritos are quite cost effective
and a much healthier option than picking up a quick bite from McDonald’s!
These burritos go from the freezer to the microwave,
so they can be heated, as needed, one at a time! This works so well!
*** You can use any fillings you like but the ones below are our kids’ favorites! ***
This recipe makes 12-16 burritos, depending on size & amount of filling… You can use any fillings you like, but the ones here are our kids’ favorites!)
• 1 lb ground sweet Italian sausage (You can also use ground turkey or breakfast
• 4-5 mini sweet peppers, diced
• 2 handfuls of fresh baby spinach leaves (optional)
• 16 beaten eggs
• 2 cups shredded cojack cheese
• ½ 4 oz can diced green chilis (optional)
• Salt & pepper to taste
• 16 flour tortillas (burrito size)
You will also need foil, waxed paper and gallon-sized freezer bags for storage!
1. Brown the sausage in a large pan. Remove from the pan and drain any grease.
2. Dice the mini peppers or slice them into thin pieces. Saute them in a little butter until tender. If adding spinach, do so now. Stir until spinach wilts. Remove veggies from the pan.
3. Cook the eggs in the same pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook until set.
4. Add sausage and veggies back into the pan. Remove from heat and, if using, add the diced green chilis to taste. Stir together.
5. Let the mixture cool! (Very important!) Prepare the waxed paper (or parchment) and foil. Arrange pieces of wax paper on the counter, making an assembly line. Put one tortilla on each piece. Top each tortilla with about 1/2 cup of the cooled sausage-egg mixture. Top this with some grated cheese.
6. Wrap each burrito by folding one side length-wise, tight against the filling. Fold in both of the small ends and then fold over the last side. Place each burrito, seam-side down on waxed paper and wrap tightly. Then wrap each waxed paper burrito in a piece of foil… again tightly!
7. Place wrapped burritos in freezer bags, removing as much air as possible. Seal, and place in the freezer for up to 3 months… although they probably won’t last that long! NOTE: I typically write the date and the heating directions on the outside of the freezer bag - see below. 😋
HEATING DIRECTIONS: Heat one frozen burrito at a time in the microwave. Unwrap the foil and waxed paper, wrap in a paper towel, and microwave on high for 90 seconds – 2 minutes, depending on the strength of your microwave.
NOTE: I’ve also made these burritos when we have a group of people up at the lake. It’s a quick and easy breakfast with minimal clean up! When I do that, I also make a simple sauce to serve alongside the burritos… sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt) and salsa mixed together for taste… I told you it was simple!
We hope you and your family enjoy this breakfast staple as much as we do!
In fact, I brought a batch with me this week, during a visit with Little L!
She may even get her first taste of this freezer fave!
Last week, after we recalled our 9 month wait to become Grands, we added several new posts on Instagram and Facebook with ideas for celebrating this special time in a family's life! Since we know that many of our blog readers might have missed these posts we thought we’d share them. So… here you go!
Laurie made these countdown blocks for her sister as she waited for her first grandchild, and then she gifted them back to Laurie as she was waiting for Baby D. All you need are 2 wooden cubes and 1 rectangular block. Decorate as you want. If you put the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 on the sides of one cube, and the numbers 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, and 0 on the other cube, you’ll be able to make every number from 42 to 1 without any problems! (The 6 will need to be turned upside down so it can also serve as a 9.) I loved flipping the numbers every Monday!!
Make a copy of the ultrasound picture and glue magnets on the back. Display it on your refrigerator where it will be there to greet you every day. Laurie can’t tell you how many minutes she spent gazing at that picture. It lifted her spirits no matter what!
Some Grands are very particular about what they will be called by their darling Littles Others wait to see what their Little comes up with on their own. This can be a time for you to start thinking and dreaming about hearing that tiny voice calling for you! A group of Laurie’s friends gave their daughter and her husband a couple’s shower on-line - Covid pregnancy! For one game, everyone submitted their ideas for our new “Grand Names”. Laurie and her husband didn’t use any of the names suggested, but it was fun to see the ideas!! We'd love to have you share your Grand name in the comments below!
This tip will thrill your Middles as you all celebrate your Little-to-Be on holidays and special days. Provide a Christmas stocking, Easter basket, ornament for the Little-to-Be to let your Middles know that they already hold a special place in your hearts! And… perhaps add a gift for the Mommy and Daddy-to-Be from their Little-to-Be! What a fun surprise that would be!
To help make the time go faster, Laurie’s daughter introduced the Pregnancy+ Tracker App to their extended family when she was pregnant. Once you put in the due date, it follows the pregnancy week by week. It gives practical advice and pregnancy information. It also shows what the baby looks like each day/week, how they are developing and the approximate size. Laurie’s family had fun checking Little D’s weekly size by comparing it to a sweet, fruit or animal! Laurie was excited to check on Baby D every day and see what was happening in that growing tummy of her daughter!
We all know that Mamas-to-Be get the majority of the attention during the pregnancy. Spend some time during those months to put together a Daddy Care Package for those great guys waiting patiently on the sidelines!
Once in a while we can’t help ourselves and we add a cute video of our Littles
on Instagram or Facebook. If you’d like to check out either of these two recent reels,
We’ll be back next Monday (March 13) with some leprechaun shenanigans
in honor of the upcoming St. Patrick’s Day holiday!
In the meantime, remember that this last Monday
we shared lots of Shamrock Fun activities with you!